The Regional Training and Research Institute for Distance and Open Learning (RETRIDOL) is a Commonwealth of Learning (COL) supported West African Regional Centre for the development of human capacity and research in Distance and Open Learning (ODL).
The Senate of the National Open University of Nigeria approved the commencement of a Postgraduate Diploma in Open and Distance Learning (PGDODL), to be run by RETRIDOL in collaboration with the Faculty of Education, NOUN.
- To give professional training to those who wish to become experts in open and distance learning in addition to having expertise in other aspects of education.
- To provide opportunities for those who are aspiring to become experts in open and distance learning having acquired expertise in other areas apart from education.
- To provide both academic and professional training in open and distance learning.
At the end of this course, programme recipients will:
- Demonstrate competencies in the management of Open and Distance learning courses, programmes and institutions.
- Exhibit skills in the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) from the provision of open distance education.
- Demonstrate awareness of various models of open and distance learning.
- Conduct research activities in open and distance learning; and
- Apply professional skills in solving emerging problems in ODL.
Applicants for Postgraduate Diploma in Open and Distance Education will be required to have either of the following:
- A good first degree from a recognized University by Senate with at least a second-class lower division degree in any discipline.
- A holder of a minimum of upper credit in the Higher National Diploma Degree (HND) from a recognized institution.
A person with qualifications adjudged by NOUN Senate to be equivalent to (a) and (b) above. Such candidates will need to have their work experience and skills already acquired to be evaluated by NOUN for their suitability.